Pleasant Hill Baptist Church

Pleasant Hill Baptist Church

Equip  |  Evangelize  |  Exalt

Service Times | Find us on Facebook | Find us on Youtube


593 Pleasant Hill Dr.
Elkin, NC 28621
(336) 835-3401
phbc@phbcelkin.com

Portions of this site will not function properly without Javascript.

Our Beliefs
Our Staff
Our History
  • About the Bible

    We affirm the Holy Bible as the inspired, infallible, inerrant word of God and the basis for our beliefs and practices. It was written by human authors under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth. Because it is inspired by God, it is truth without any mixture of error. (2 Timothy 3:16; 1:13 | 2 Peter 1:20-21 | Psalm 119:105, 160 | Proverbs 30:5)

  • About God

    God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God. (Genesis 1:1, 26, 27 | Psalm 90:2 | Matthew 28:19 | 1 Peter 1:2)

  • About Jesus

    Jesus Christ is the only begotten son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus Christ was born of a virgin woman, lived a sinless human life, and offered Himself as the perfect lamb of God as a sacrifice for the sins of all men by dying on the cross. He was buried and after three days arose from the dead to demonstrate His power over death, sin, hell, and the grave. He ascended to Heaven's glory and will return again to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. (Matthew 1:22-23 | Isaiah 9:6 | John 1:1-5, 14; 14:10-30 | Hebrews 4:14-15 | 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 | Acts 1:9-11 | 1 Timothy 6:14-15 | Titus 2:13)

  • About the Holy Spirit

    The Holy Spirit is equal with the Father and the Son as God. He is in the world to convict lost people of sin, righteousness, and judgment. He lives in every Christian and gives power for living, understanding spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. Every believer should seek to live under his control. (2 Corinthians 3:17 | John 16:7-13 | Acts 1:8 | 1 Corinthians 2:12; 3:16 | Ephesians 1:13; 5:18 | Galatians 5:25)

  • About Man

    Man is made in the image of God. He is the supreme object of God's creation. Although man has tremendous potential for good, he is marred by disobedience toward God called "sin." This sinfulness separates man from God. (Genesis 1:27 | Psalm 8:3-6 | Romans 6:23 | Revelation 20:15)

  • About Salvation

    Salvation is a gift from God. Man can never make up for his sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by repentance and faith in Jesus Christ as God's only offer for forgiveness can man be saved from sin's penalty. Eternal life with God begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ by faith. (Romans 5:1; 6:23 | Ephesians 2:8-9 | John 14:6; 1:12 | Titus 3:5 | Galatians 3:26)

  • About Eternal Security

    Because God gives man eternal life through Jesus Christ, the believer is secure in that salvation for eternity. Salvation is begun and maintained by the grace and power of God, not by the self-effort of the Christian. It is the grace and power of God that gives this security. (John 10:29 | 2 Timothy 1:12 | Hebrews 7:25; 10:10-14 | 1 Peter 1:3-5)

  • About Heaven and Hell

    Man was created to exist forever. He will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or in union with God through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God means eternal existence in a real place of eternal  fire and torment called Hell. To be eternally in union with God means eternal life in a real place of eternal bliss called Heaven. Heaven and Hell are places of eternal existence. (John 3:16 | 1 John 2:25; 5:11-13 | Romans 6:23 | Revelation 20:15)

  • About Church Ordinances

    Baptism: A person who receives Jesus Christ by personal faith; who professes him publicly at any regular worship service of the church, and who indicates a commitment to follow Christ as Lord will be received for baptism. Baptism will be by immersion, and will be administered by the pastor or whomever the church will authorize.

    The Lord's Supper: The ordinance of the Lord's Supper is a proclamation of a past act, the pronouncement of a present experience, and the prophecy of a future event. Those who sit at the Lord's table are to turn their eyes of hope to Christ's coming again, and are to open their hearts to fellowship with His Spirit. The Lord's Supper deals with believers in three tenses—past, present, and future. As to the past, it is a commemoration; as to the present, it is a meditation; as to the future, it is anticipation. Each person at the Lord's table who partakes of the broken bread and drinks of the cup becomes a mute messenger to the truth of the everlasting gospel "that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures."

  • Senior Pastor
    Pastor Danny Dodds

    James "Danny" Dodds
    Email: doddsdanny@aol.com
    Phone: (336) 835-3401 ext 223

    Pastor Danny came to Pleasant Hill Baptist Church in April of 2006. He is a firm believer in the inspired, inerrant, and infallible Word of God. He desires to see the lost come to salvation and to see Christians grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. He and his wife Cathy have two children and three grandchildren.

    Pastor Danny has been in full-time vocational ministry since 1979. He has pastored churches in Mississippi and Louisiana. He has served on the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board and filled various positions in local Baptist Associations throughout his years of ministry. He received his education from the SBC Seminary Extension, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, and Covington Theological Seminary. He has earned various degrees that include a Bachelor of Ministry, Master of Ministry, and a Doctor of Ministry majoring in Bible.

  • Associate Pastor
    Associate Pastor Joe Wood

    Joseph Wood
    Email: josephwood2814@gmail.com
    Phone: (336) 835-3401 ext 239

    Joe, son of Rev. Kenny and Mrs. Debbie Wood, grew up in the home of a Baptist minister in Elkin, NC. He graduated from East Wilkes High School and then pursued a degree in Meteorology from UNC Charlotte. During his first year of college, he felt God calling him into ministry. While at a service at Pleasant Hill on October 14, 2012, he was under deep conviction and surrendered that day to God's calling upon his life.

    Joe received his Bachelor's Degree in Meteorology from UNC Charlotte and still loves forecasting the weather. He is currently working on his Master's Degree in Divinity at Liberty University. Joe began serving as the Assistant Pastor of PHBC in February 2016.

  • Youth Pastor
    Youth Minister Shane Watson

    Shane Watson
    Email: phbcyouth@hotmail.com

    Shane has attended Pleasant Hill Baptist Church since he was six months old and was saved during revival when he was 12 years old. He started working in ministry as a student at PHBC. He worked as a counselor for the church summer day camp for three years and served on mission teams to New York and St. Kitts.

    While in college he felt the call on his life to work with students. He got his start by working with junior and senior high students on Wednesday nights and assisting the Student Pastor with activities and trips. In the fall of 1996, he was hired as the Bi-vocational Youth Minister for PHBC.

    Shane received his Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice from Gardner-Webb University. He and his beautiful wife Holly were married in 1995. Holly works as a teacher at Pleasant Hill Daycare. Shane is crazy about his two teenagers, Robin and Matt, who make his life very interesting.

    The Lord has surrounded Shane with a great team of teachers and volunteers who love Jesus and students. Shane works at a local millwork company as a customer service representative. He says that he does this to support his youth ministry habit. He loves his Savior Jesus, his family, and his students.

  • Financial Account Manager
    Financial Account Manager Angela Cockerham

    Angela Cockerham
    Email: acockerham@phbcelkin.com
    Phone: (336) 835-3401 ext 222

    Angela began working at Pleasant Hill in June of 2002. Her main responsibility is managing the accounts of the church and daycare, but she also enjoys working with the members of the church and is eager to help them in any way she can.

    Angela became a member of the NC Baptist Secretaries Association in 1999 when she was working at the Elkin Baptist Association. She served as President-Elect of the NCBSA in 2008 and President in 2009-2010.

    Angela graduated from Surry Community College in May of 2007 with an Associate in Applied Science in Accounting. She attends Swan Creek Baptist Church. She is married to Jesse Cockerham and has two wonderful children, Aaron and Alicia. In her spare time, Angela enjoys reading, watching, movies, camping, and skydiving.

  • Ministry Assistant
    Minsitry Asisstant Alicia Ashley

    Alicia Ashley
    Email: aashley@phbcelkin.com
    Phone: (336) 835-3401

    Alicia began working at Pleasant Hill in April of 2014. Her favorite part of the job is working with the church members, and she is always willing to help them in any way she can. She is also responsible for maintaining the church's website and Facebook page. She received a Certificate in Web Technologies from Surry Community College in May of 2016.

    Alicia and her husband, Russ, were married in May of 2012. In her spare time she enjoys reading and cooking.

  • Building & Grounds Superintendent
    B&G Superintendent Jason Reynolds

    Jason Reynolds
    Email: jreynolds@phbcelkin.com
    Phone: (336) 835-3401

    Jason began working at Pleasant Hill in January of 2017. He and his wife, Lori, were married April 18, 1998, and they have one daughter, Maci. They have been members of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church since June of 2011.

  • Daycare Director
    Daycare Director Maeshell Marley

    Maeshell Marley
    Email: maeshellmarley@gmail.com
    Phone: (336) 835-3338

    Maeshell has been with Pleasant Hill Daycare since 2014. She is married to Steven and has two children; Brittany and Brady. They have been members of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church since 2007.

    After high school, Maeshell attended Wilkes Community College and earned an Asssociate in Applied Science degree in Medical Assisting and spent the next 16 years in the medical field. Having always loved children and feeling with certainty that God was leading her into daycare ministry, she accepted a position with Pleasant Hill Daycare.

    Maeshell has attained her North Carolina Early Childhood Credentials, and is currently pursuing her North Carolina Early Childhood Administrative Credentials. She is a member of the North Carolina Licensed Child Care Association.

The information and images on this page were taken from a booklet that was put together in 1997 to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Pleasant Hill. The materials were compiled by Mr. & Mrs. Stony Carter, Mr. & Mrs. Ronny White, Mr. & Mrs. Doug Chappell, Mrs. Judy Anderson White, Dr. Don Stephens, and Mr. Hank Campbell.

Images of the original house and old church building were painted by Frances Darnell Wall. Other pictures were donated by current and former church members.

  • The Beginning: 1897 - Early 1900s
    Home of Mr. & Mrs. Jones Darnell, Sr.

    On the night of March 7, 1897, a small group of Pleasant Hill Citizens met at the home of Mrs. & Mrs. Jones Darnell, Sr. for the purpose of organizing a church in their community.

    The ten charter members who were present that night were J.J. Reid, Peter Darnell, Mary Darnell, Laura Darnell, Elizabeth Darnell, Julie Darnell, E.P. Walls, S.J. Burcham, Nancy Burcham, and Lucindy Burcham. All of these had letters from other Baptist churches.

    On March 20, 1897, the church called Rev. T.W. Paris as the first pastor. After the church was organized, officers were elected and ordained as follows: Rev. T.W. Paris, pastor; S.J. Burcham, clerk; Peter Darnell and E.P. Walls, deacons. During the first year, twelve members were added.

    In July of that same year, a committee was appointed to raise money for the purpose of buying a lot for the erection of a church building. In October, Rev. George M. Burcham was called as pastor, and a lot (where the present church is now located) was bought and paid for. One year later, in March of 1898, the first Sunday School was organized. The church's income for that year was $5.65. Meetings were held each month in homes and in a brush arbor until the building was completed.

    In 1901, Mr. Charlie Day was elected the first church treasurer. In the same year, the first gift to missionary causes was sent to the Baptist Orphanage in the amount of thirty-five cents.

    First church building

    The first building was a white, frame structure which seated about 300 people. The cost of construction was $1,490. The building was dedicated on May 24, 1903. The auditorium had to be enlarged twice to take care of the growth. Special offerings were taken, such as children bringing their pennies, to pay for the added Sunday School rooms. By 1904, the membership had increased to 83, with an income of $1.65 for the year.

  • The 1930s
    1938 Ground Breaking

    The church grew in numbers during the first 40 years of its history, but it continued to struggle financially. In 1938, the church's annual income was $1,575.91, while the membership was 423.

    In October 1938, Pleasant Hill Baptist Church ordained Rev. David W. Day. Rev. Day had previously served as Sunday School Superintendent and choir leader, as well as a deacon. That same year, plans to start the new building were approved, and the church developed a system of tithing. In November of 1939, the church called Rev. David W. Day as pastor.

  • The 1940s

    The 1940s were a growing time at Pleasant Hill where a full church program was going on. There was a radio program on WKBC, North Wilkesboro every Sunday afternoon sponsored by gifts from listeners and church members.

    New church building

    The new building was completed in 1940. It was very modern in that day. It had an auditorium with a seating capacity of 600, a pastor's study, a secretary's office, and 15 assembly rooms. The new auditorium had a baptistry with a picture of the old baptizing place painted by Joe Cockerham. Before this time, baptism services were conducted in the Big Elkin Creek after the yearly revival in October.

    In the early 1940s, Pleasant Hill began having services every week. Before that time, services were held one weekend each month. In 1943, the church paid off its entire indebtedness, and in the same year, adopted its first budget. The pastor, secretary, and sexton were all placed on salary. Until this time, an offering was taken once a month. The proceeds were used to pay the electric bill, and the remainder was given to the pastor.

    1946 Model Church Bus

    Young people and children's Training Unions were a very important part of the church. A choir of more than 50 voices was led by Mrs. L.H. Petree. A male chorus of 40 voices or more was led by Everette Darnell. The young people's chorus consisted of 30 plus voices, and the children's chorus had around 70 voices. Both the children's and young people's choirs were trained by Miss. Evelyn Myers. Miss Myers also served as the educational director from 1945 to 1950.

  • The 1950s
    Rev. N.C. Teague

    During the worship service on Sunday, April 18, 1954, the pulpit committee of PHBC presented Rev. N.C. Teague and his wife, Mrs. Mozell B. Teague, to the congregation. After the recommendation of Dr. McGee of the Winston-Salem Baptist Hospital, the church voted to call Rev. Teague as pastor.

    At this time there was no regularly scheduled visitation program, but in September of 1954, the church went into full-scale outreach ministry by starting a regular Thursday night church-wide visitation program. The church began what would become one of the most effective means of reaching the unsaved in the community.

    Parsonage completed 1955

    With more additions to the church and the need for expansion, the church began a new phase of growth in the winter of 1955. It was voted to begin planning for a new educational building. In January of 1959, the church approved the building plans brought by the committee. These plans encompassed a new educational building that would be added on to the back of the church as well as renovating the existing facilities.

  • The 1960s
    Educational Building - 1961

    On June 26, 1960, PHBC held a ground-breaking ceremony for the new building. Pastor Teague spoke briefly and recognized the members of the Construction Committee as well as the men from Nichols Construction Company who would head the project. Construction took almost a year, and an open house was held on June 18, 1961.

    On January 23, 1966, Rev. Robert M. Tenery of San Antonio, Texas was called as the new pastor. Under his leadership, the church began to undertake bold, new ministries.

    In March of 1966, PHBC began sending a weekly paper to the homes of church members and other interested parties across the nation. The first Pleasant Hill Post was issued on March 16. The purpose of The Post was, and still is, to keep the church members fully informed concerning church programs and the status of the church. It was also designed to give the pastor and other church leaders an opportunity by way of printed page to speak to members concerning needs of the church and bring items of interest concerning religion in America to their attention. This ministry of PHBC still continues to this day, although it is now a monthly paper rather than a weekly one.

    Kindergarten Class - 1966

    Another lasting ministry of the church that began under Pastor Tenery is the Pleasant Hill Daycare. It began in September of 1966 as the Pleasant Hill Baptist School. The school program provided daycare for the children of working mothers, as well as kindergarten training for four and five year olds. As a result of this ministry, many children and their families were led to the Lord and became members of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church. At its inception, the program was located in the educational space provided by the new building project. In 1967, the church purchased the old Pleasant Hill School, and the daycare center was moved to the new location.

    Renovated Church Building - 1969

    The renovation work on the church building (part of the building plan voted on in 1959) began in January of 1969. The auditorium was enlarged, adding a new choir section, new cushioned pews, new carpet, and air-conditioning. A new sound system was also installed by Paul Luffman.

    Changes were made to the outside appearance of the building as well. The exterior was painted white, the front porch and side entrances were renovated, and the old steeple was replaced with a new spire. At the very pinnacle of the new spire is a copper plate etched with the words "To God Be the Glory." The building project took almost a year to complete, and  during that time worship services were held at the Activity Center (formerly the Pleasant Hill School).

  • The 1970s

    One of the most rewarding ministries during the seventies was the development of the youth program. Miss Sharon Stege, a summer youth worker from San Antonio, Texas, spent the summers of 1969 and 1970 at PHBC. Her work had a great impact on the youth program and the entire church. During this time, many young people were trained in effective witnessing and soul winning.

    The Revelations Group

    "The Revelations," a Christian folk musical group, was formed out of the youth choir. This group performed for the first time in the worship service on July 12, 1970. In the same month, "The Revelations" and the youth choir toured three states. They made public appearances at high school assemblies, television programs, civic clubs, conventions, revival services, shopping centers, and churchs. Around 450 decisions were made as a result of this ministry.

    On December 8, 1971, Rev. Tenery resigned as pastor of PHBC. In May of the following year, Rev. W.T. Furr of Shreveport, Louisiana was called as the new pastor. He and his wife moved to Elkin, and he assumed the position that summer.

    New Educational Buildling - 1979

    In June of 1976, the church voted to pursue another building project. The new building (where our offices are currently located) would provide additional educational space as well as a Fellowship Hall for church functions. A ground-breaking ceremony was held for the new building on February 26, 1978. Less than two weeks later, Pastor Furr went to be with the Lord and was buried in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery. In September of 1978, Rev. Neil J. Armstrong was called as the new pastor. He assumed his duties on November 5.

    The educational building was completed in the summer of 1979. On Sunday morning, July 1, Sunday School classes were held in the building for the first time.